View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #16
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I can't find anything in the EPUB spec (although I'm not familiar with it, so that's based just on some skimming and Ctrl+F-ing) that would suggest going against letter and spirit of the HTML5 spec like that.

It sounds like Sigil is merely implementing a workaround against an internal bug (source):
Quote:
- Update sigil_bs4 to use numeric entities when faced with nbsp so they do not get lost later in Sigil
Calibre says:
Quote:
HELP = _('Named entities are often only incompletely supported by various book reading software.'
' Therefore, it is best to not use them, replacing them with the actual characters they'
' represent. This can be done automatically.')
That's true, but there's a slight difference between the basic XML named entities (<, >, &, " and ', without which a program can be considered severely defective), HTML basics like   and — which are universally supported, and more exotic ones like, I don't know, bigodot; or something. :P

Last edited by Frenzie; 04-21-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote