View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #14
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
One thing you may have noticed (depending on which "edition" you're reading) is that some scene breaks are just plain spacing, while others have a star, a row of asterisks or something else. This is just a direct translation of the print version without any understanding of the meaning.

This is why you should always put asterisks or SOMETHING as scenebreaks. Not just rely on a gap.

Print book ≠ Ebook.

See my:

Quote:
There is no (semantic) difference between these two types of scene breaks.
Indeed.

In this specific case of Discworld books, there is no difference in scenebreaks (I'd trust Jellby's judgement on that).

Depending on the book, you have to go through and make sure.

(But in 99.9% of all books you encounter, they're normal and don't have multiple types of scenebreaks. )

Quote:
In print they're all initially just spacing, but when they fall exactly at a page boundary, an asterisk is printed to make it explicit, as otherwise it would be almost invisible.

In an ebook, there's no way (without javascript) of having this effect, so I opted for having an asterisk at every scene break.
Yep. Exactly. And I agree with your solution completely.

- - -

Side Note: If you want more details, this scenebreaks discussion already occurred in:

We covered lots of examples + all the technical details you'd ever need.

(Even bleeding-edge Javascript to try to emulate "only show scenebreaks at the bottom of pages/screens"... but I definitely wouldn't choose that "solution".)

- - -

Side Note #2: If you wanted even more extreme technical details, I described some of the "surgical" approach to editing in:

but this is really getting into the weeds.

This explains how/why you may not want to wipe everything away, and clean/edit the ebooks with more precise cleanup methods.

Again, 99% of the time, you're working from complete garbage, so it's easier to wipe everything and start from scratch.

But in some cases, markup might be left in the original ebook—like "invisible" scenebreaks—which may make your life easier when trying to fix EPUB->EPUB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
@Tex2002ans: I keep forgetting the Reports tool in Calibre's editor.

The Reports are AMAZING. Definitely take lots of advantage of those.

You can also use them to list all links in a book, making it very easy to:

Quote:
I checked on the current book I'm reading and the two "text" files are about 200KB each. So, it shouldn't be a problem. But, the loading is noticeable.

Quote:
Odd. I thought I'd looked for the section breaks before doing any editing. It's possible I deleted the para tags already. But, I'm almost positive there wasn't a ParaNoIndent in my copy. Oh, well. I managed to find them and replace them regardless.
Sometimes the person who originally digitized the book made a mistake as well. This is why, if you're extra serious, you try to get a copy of the physical (or PDF), so you can figure out what the heck is going on.

Like I said, 99% of the time, it's probably just your typical one-type-of-scenebreak... but there are very odd things out there.

Note: Like the Wild Cards books I read many years ago, they used a ♥, ♦, ♣, or ♠ for certain scenebreaks.

Quote:
Also, I had the Calibre editor break the files at those <hr/>s. In this book, there are about 90 book text files now. It all seems to work fine and the delay upon loading is gone. Thanks.

Did you have complicated CSS?

The Kobo definitely shouldn't be chugging on a file like that.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 08-03-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote