View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 11:58 PM   #3
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I switched from Kindle to Kobo a few months back and personally find sideloading via Calibre MUCH simpler than Kindle's "personal documents" email approach. Especially since Kindle doesn't treat "personal documents" as "books", making collections even more fiddly.Also, you mention sending epubs to Kindle, but Kindle doesn't accept epubs?

On the annotations issue, there are plugins for Calibre that let you export these from Kobo, if that helps.
You can sideload books on Kindle from Calibre the same way that you can with Kobo. ONE of Kindle's problems, though is its indexing which *frequently* chokes when indexing books without bothering to mention it to the user. You can fix that by disabling indexing BUT it's a crappy work-around.

The other problem is that Amazon has gone out of their way to prevent users from automatically moving sideloaded books into collections.

I've both an Oasis 2 and a Forma. With a library of 7,000 books, it took me about 40 minutes to copy them to the Forma with Calibre ... all grouped nicely into collections. With the Oasis 2, I gave up after more than 20 hours when I had indexing enabled. Even after disabling indexing, it still took the Oasis 3+ hours ... and without collections, of course.

Amazon has a great bookstore and good hardware but their firmware is the absolute worst.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote