View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #107
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think "Stranger in a Strange Land" was a really silly book. I'd always liked Heinlein a lot till I read that one. As I recall I had recently read "Time Enough for Love" and that made me decide to re-read a bunch of his books. Then shortly afterward "Stranger In a Strange Land" was published and I read it and I was done with Heinlein for a few years.

I re-read it a few years ago as part of a discussion group, something I rarely do, and on second reading it was even worse. Of course most Heinlein fans think it's his best and that discussion got a bit heated, but I survived to lick my wounds.

I don't think that was really science fiction. In a lot of ways it was since it included some SF elements, but I think he was just putting his sexual fantasies on paper and I think that was the focus of that book. By the time he wrote "Friday" there wasn't much else but sexual fantasy.

This isn't all bad, I guess. The guy probably enjoyed himself.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote