View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #32
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I have had times when it is difficult to concentrate on my reading. Using a larger font can help, because I have to turn the page more. I get part of the text read and put behind me more quickly.
Using a larger font definitely helps; I use one all the time while reading ebooks. However, by itself that's not enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
With audiobooks and podcasts, it's Bejeweled all the way -
Bejeweled is also great while listening to podcasts, etc., especially in Zen mode. Minesweeper used to be great too, but in recent months my mind has started to wander even while playing Minesweeper and listening to podcasts; I think it's become too mindless for me. Also, in the past month or so, I don't even feel right playing Minesweeper, so I'll quit playing, and my mind will wander as much as it does when I'm doing nothing but listening. Hopefully, Bejeweled won't become like that.

One thing I've thought of as a possibility: Instead of listening to instrumental music (which again isn't enough), what about playing instrumental music? Of course, this would require actually learning to play an instrument, and to do so without looking. I already own an acoustic guitar, which I still have yet to learn how to actually play; this might help motivate me to learn quicker. (OT: My biggest difficulty, thus far, is playing the right strings and frets, without touching other strings.)

Another issue with this would be page turning. This would be a lot easier with ebooks than pbooks, especially MMPBs. However, either way, there would be a constant, periodic interruption in the music, in addition to interruptions in the reading (which, of course, is already there to some degree anyway).

Somebody mentioned knitting while reading. This would be something that I could see as helpful; the only problem for me is what sorts of things could I make that I would use, and that isn't the same thing, over and over again? I would also have to learn how to do it (same as a musical instrument above).

Any other ideas in a similar vein to musical instrument or knitting (or crocheting)?
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote