View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #341
TJW
Enthusiast
TJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
What i suggest is some kind of dual-boot for both 2.5.8 and 3.x in the same machine. Like Duokan or something like Duokan-lite which is launched from launch-pad. I know access to FAT is slow, but sometimes i want to play some of the kindle games and i don't want to turn back to 2.5.8 just for this.
I'd like to share some experience about this topic.
Chroot to a 3.2.1 system on my DXG with 2.5.8 firmware.
  1. Using yifanlu's bin creator to create the bin and use kindle firmware update tool to extract rootfs.img. (I used the piratebay bittorrent version for experiment.)
  2. copy rootfs.img to /mnt/us
  3. mkdir -p /mnt/k3 && mount -o loop /mnt/us/rootfs.img /mnt/k3
  4. /etc/init.d/framework stop
  5. pmon stop all # wait a while for
  6. /etc/init.d/pmond stop
    /etc/init.d/lipc-daemon stop
    /etc/init.d/dbus stop
  7. for x in /var /dev /proc /mnt/rwfs /mnt/us /mnt/base-us /dev/pts /dev/shm /sys /var/local
    do
    mount -o $x /mnt/k3/$x
    done
  8. chroot /mnt/k3
  9. ldconfig
  10. ln -sf /etc/kdb /etc/kdb.src/mario
  11. start daemons in /etc/rc5.d one by one
    (I skip guidinit, jailbreak and wifi stuffs)
  12. I modfied /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh to ensure it will never reboot the kindle.
It takes awhile to start up the GUI framework. TTS does not work. Browser, shop, pdf reader seem working but not very smoothly. Probably because the rootfs.img from piratebay is created by earlier version of k3 updater and I didn't apply many of yifanlu's patches.
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote