View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Gallant first effort. You nailed it with the 1150 version.

I may have a go at the "cut off" 1200 version. This is a hard problem to solve for BOTH versions with the same code and same images! Got anything against justified text?

p.s. the link above should be Nick's brilliant conversion tool.
thank you very much sir ; coudn't have done it without you.

(i fixed the link... i'll probably have to fix the link on all the other pages too because i think i just re-copied my original page...)

you are welcome to make a 1200 version ; would you like my converted files ? [EDIT it is indeed hard to make one version for both devices, since the screens are not only not the same size, but apparently not proportional either. however this should only be a problem with "full-screen" images which are reduced in size automatically. i don't think we should have to worry about it too often.]

as for justified text, actually yes, i *do* have something against it if i can't manage the kerning, which is the case with reflowable text. i can't stand a page full of "holes".

left aligned text is actually easier to read anyway, because the eye doesn't get lost as easily traveling across the page (more landmarks when the right side is ragged). i actually have a couple of paper books which are printed left-aligned, ragged right ; they are recent Penguin editions of a couple of Wodehouse books which I bought in the airport at Heathrow. i was suprised at first but i got used to it quick. i think it's even less perturbing for an ebook, since you don't have the effect of symmetry (or rather, asymmetry) of the two facing pages.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 03-23-2008 at 08:35 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote