View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 04:41 AM   #26
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Also, as has been discussed previously, displaying a changing clock on an eInk device is not overly practical or efficient.
1st of all, I understand the difference between adding things to code that are totally new, and patch things by altering values that are already there.
Having said that,there is a clock displaying at the top for a couple of seconds when you use the settings bar at top of bottom.
So kobo also thinks that a clock adds something.
Sure I would not use it to wait for my train or plane, but as indication such an option would be nice.
Sure I understand that only when you tap for a new page the clock would be updated so if you are on a page for 10 minutes,the clock stands still that 10 minutes.
But also for the guys who made patches and hacks they provide the Sony readers with such a function.
But again,that is not a question for a patch topic,as you point out correctly.
But,it is there at the top,hidden,visible at the moment you use the options on the reader for 5 or 10 seconds..so there is some code..

The problem would be,if you make it 100% visible at all times on the top,it must disappear when using the options or you get a sort of "subtitles over subtitling effect".
So I would not use it for boiling an egg, but if you are reading in night,only using the light of the reader,some time indication can be handy.
My watch (also e-ink) isn't lighted,neither as my clock or phone.
So I have to enter the options part and leave it to see the time for that couple of seconds and those extra steps are distracting me.
So I understand the question and I would like something to,but I would ask it in a new topic in the dev corner for some programmer to read it,and hope it would not end in a debate if it is handy or not.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote