View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 03:59 AM   #7
wgabi
Enthusiast
wgabi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5
@eschwartz,

Is there a thread about this project that I could follow, or any place? I still think you wouldn't need to "migrate" Calibre as the whole complex app, but the basics. Convert from one format to another, edit meta info, and maybe the ability to change paragraph spaces, justify text... These are the most important things, and I bet 90% of the people only use these features in Calibre. I know that Calibre has so much more to offer, and it is truly the best app available, and for free. It is of course the right tool, if you have a PC. But on the go, this would be the best, and wouldn't need to be overly complex.

@HarryT,

I had Windows PC's since they introduced version 3.1
I was a happy, and often frustrated Windows user for many years. You know installing, updating for hours, start again the whole thing if something went wrong, pay ridiculous money just to get some extra features, etc... I could go on and on.

A few years ago I tried OS-X, which I found a lot more stable, but less many available apps, and all for sky high prices. Plus, I really don't like Apple's way to do certain things, like forcing you to use some of their app, or services. At the end, while Macs are beautiful, they are just not for me.

Then Chromebooks came along... Yes, I know. They are pretty useless, when they are compared to a full OS. But Goggle Play Store is coming to many Chromebooks in this year, so there will be a real boost in usability very soon. Even now, without the Android apps, I can do most of my needs on my laptop. I browse the Internet, sending and receiving messages... simple things mostly. Again, awful lot of people do just the everyday simple things on their slow, virus laden PC, or on their shiny Mac, never really take advantage of their machine full potential.

"Use the right tool for the job"

Of course you are right, there are apps which will not work, or maybe will never work on an online, or mobile platform. People who must use Photoshop, CAD, or heavy gamers need a PC or a Mac.

One more thing. Chromebooks are fantastic solutions for schools, elderly people, or the ones who have no computer skills at all. My ageing mother used Windows, and I had to go and fix the "thing" quite often when she somehow managed to delete, or mix up things. A few times only a fresh install could bring back the machine :-( Now she (and me too) is happily browsing, messaging, watching videos, etc... Since she has a Chromebook, I never had to do anything, no problems whatsoever.
wgabi is offline   Reply With Quote