View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #546
Thra11
Thra11 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I bought a "Shell smart case cover stand" from Forefront cases. I saw a few posts mentioning Forefront, but no details about this case, so I thought I would review a few key points in case anyone is interested.

I didn't go for the one that folds into a stand, because I don't think I'd actually use it as a stand and I was concerned that the folds might make it harder to open (e.g. I lift the bottom edge with my thumb and instead of flipping open it just folds the corner of the case)
  • Sleep function works (make sure you've got whichever firmware update fixed it. It was a while ago, but a brand new aura one fresh out of the box might be on an older version, so remember to update before getting upset that the sleep function doesn't work)
  • The eReader is held by the sides of the case. It's easy enough to remove if you flex the case. Otherwise, it seems to be fairly firmly held as long as you don't shake the case violently enough that it flexes. I don't think it would fall out in normal use.
  • Folding the case back on itself doesn't trigger the sleep function. There appears to be a small area of a different material in the back of the case, underneath where the sleep sensor is, so I assume this is some sort of ferromagnetic patch to shield the sensor from the magnet when you fold the case back on itself.
  • The power button is accessible via a hole in the back of the case.
  • The case closes easily ('hinge' doesn't wobble, magnets line up) and seems like it should stay closed and asleep if carried in a bag.
  • The Kobo aura one can respond to touches through the cover during the period between the sensor detecting the magnet and the device going to sleep, so if for example, you press the cover closed with a thumb or finger, you may find that it advances a page or two.
I'm generally very pleased with the case so far. It fits well, looks smart, and is functional.
Thra11 is offline   Reply With Quote