View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Could I have ruling from a moderator please whether an book published 113 years ago would be accepted as being in the Public Domain, and an ebook of it would be accepted into the MobileRead library.
When an author/translator/illustrator is unknown (as in "others"), we count 70 years from publication... and that should be from the earliest publication that can be found.

When no biographical information can be found (as in "J. M. Shirazi"), well, we can only consider it as a pseudonym until proved otherwise... and that works exactly as for unknown creators, 70 years from publication. (Now someone could say in this case we should look for the earliest publication of the latest work by that name, but then there is no guarantee it's the same person.)

This, at least, is my understanding of the general copyright laws in Europe, and the rules of thumb I use when approving uploads. To be safe, works with unknown/no-date creators are marked as "unsure" if published between 70 and 100 ago, but they are still approved and allowed in the library. So yes, you can upload it without worries.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote