View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The first error will be genuine - it is Windows reporting that error to Calibre.

Have you tried using Task Manager to check (in that there is not a Calibre process running in the background. The default behavior in Calibre is to not exit if you hit the 'x' at the top right but simply to minimise itself to the Systray area (although this can be changed under Preferences). You have to use CTRL-Q to quit directly, or select the Calibre icon in the Systray, right-click and select Exit from the menu displayed. I must admit I would prefer to see the default for this preference to be the othe way around so that you had to actively set the minimise to SysTray behavior on clicking the 'x'.

The second case could probably be fixed by deleting the metadata.db file that Calibre does not like and letting it create a new one. The only problerm is locating the file as the message does not give the location. It will be somewhere under your User Profile - I am not running Vista any more so I am not sure what that pathg will be.

There are 10's of thousands of people using Calibre on Vista without the sort of issues you are having, so if you can get past this initial hurdle you should be OK.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote