View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwinters View Post
I have the opportunity to buy a new red 505, or a Nook... I live in Canada, so can't use any of the Nook's 'instore reading', 'online purchasing', etc.
They're both the same price.

I've heard wonderful things about the text quality on the 505, and great things about the contrast on the Nook....

Does anybody have any input or direct comparisons? I've seen the flickr gallery of the sony vs the nook - but don't have any 'feel' for the nook...
I have a 505 and have seen the Nook. The Nook strikes me as having a lighter background and better contrast. It also has more font sizes, IIRC.

I prefer the 505 because it is smaller than the Nook, has a more defined page border, and because I find the Nook's secondary screen distracting when trying to read. But it's really a "your mileage may vary" situation.

I suggest you read around the forum to check on other factors, such as computer interface. I've had problems with the (Mac) Sony Library software & my 505, while having none with the software and my 300. I think maybe the 505 has become a stepchild for Sony.

(These days I don't even bother with Library for my 505 - I use calibre, and use the 505 primarily for reading internet articles downloaded from Instapaper to calibre.)
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote