View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
glnnjnsn
Enthusiast
glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadsteel View Post
Well, back to my orig question. I have these lovely resizeable icons on my nexus 7 start page called My Library-all of which mean nothing to me... I have now somehow gotten rid of that whole thing--- does anyone have any idea how to add content I AM interested in to that My Library interface or make your own customized start page? Thanks. I have no problem getting books on my nexus-- I already have hundreds but am not buying thru Google store so can't make the covers show up in My Library start pg. Thank you for your help.
Sorry if I am "dumbing down" this explanation too much, but I want to answer your question thoroughly and am not able to tell how much of the following you may already know. Also, my knowledge of the Nexus 7 & Android reading apps is far from complete, so others should feel free to offer corrections and/or additions.

It sounds like the "My Library" screen you liked so much was the widget for Google Play that is by default displayed on your opening screen when you first start up the Nexus. You can find it when you go to your apps/widgets library (accessed with the button that looks like a circle with 6 squares) and look under the widgets section. Iif you still have Google Play installed, it will be listed under Play - My Library. And just for the record, I also think it's a spiffy-looking widget.

To get a widget onto your display screen, just tap and *hold* the widget and you should be taken to your display screen, where you can then release it to drop it where you'd like on the screen. You can then resize and adjust it as you deem fit.

However, this widget will *only* display books your are reading through the Google Books app. AND, unfortunately, that reader app will not currently allow you to load/read books that you did not acquire from Google Play. Judging from the Books known issue page, it does not look like Google has any plans to change this anytime in the near future.

So what I think you will want to do is look for is a reader app that has an associated widget that is somewhat similar - and that you will like reading with, of course. I can tell you right now that neither the Kindle or Nook apps have such a widget.

You might try researching some of the other reader apps available (Aldiko, Moon+, CoolReader, etc.) and see if any of them have a widget to your liking. Even if they don't, they should still allow you to import and read all your non-Google purchased .epubs! Note that some apps may require you to purchase a higher-priced version in order to get a particularly useful widget with it.

Hope that helps!
glnnjnsn is offline   Reply With Quote