View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #79
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
I've debated whether to post this or not-- it's a little pricier than my usual threshold for "bargain", and I'm not sure whether it's a temporary reduction or permanent price cut.
From Open Road Publishing (quickly growing to be one of my favorite backlist publishers).

Under Cover of Daylight, by James W. Hall
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Cover-Da.../dp/B005HG54GC
Currently $3.79, about a 50% price cut from it's pretty stable price range over the last year.
This is the first of Hall's "Thorn" series (1987), featuring a south-Florida emotionally scarred young man, who really just wants to be left alone in his minimalist lifestyle. Friendships and moral obligations keep getting in the way...

"In the first Thorn mystery, a troubled soul—Thorn—hunts for the men who killed the woman who raised him
Thorn’s parents died the day he was born, run off the road by a drunk driver on their way back from the hospital. The baby lived, the offender beat the rap, and both men went on with their lives until nineteen years later, when Thorn took revenge—hunting down his parents’ killer and taking his life in a vain attempt to bring back those who had been lost.

Two decades later, Thorn remains scarred by his crime. He lives in Key West, selling fishing flies and keeping an eye on Kate Truman, the woman who adopted him. Soon he loses her too, to a pair of brutal murderers whom the police have no hope of tracking down. Thorn knows the Keys, and he will find them—but before he can take revenge, he must confront the horror of the first time he killed."

Perhaps not the strongest of the Thorn series, but good enough that I've been anxiously awaiting each of the 12 or so that have followed it. This one sets up the backstory that's alluded to throughout the series, although it's not critical to read them in order. Hall won a Shamus award for another book in this series, and an Edgar from a stand-alone book. If you enjoy this one, a couple of other early novels in the Thorn series are available at a standard price around $3.

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote