View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2knit View Post
i have to ask, noting that you have both a PB IQ and 360, if you could only have one which would it be? because i can only afford one, and not sure if the screen on the IQ would be hard on my eyes for a few hours at a time...
It would depend on how I was going to use it most. The 360 has a small eink screen which is easy on the eyes, and is light enough to carry around without any problems. It has a hard cover for the screen, which also helps if you want to just drop it in your bag when you go out. It's non-reflective, so you can read in strong light. However, it isn't lit so you can't read in the dark. And as fjtorres pointed out, it does not have sound capabilities, so no audio books. But it's very easy to use, and has been sold for quite awhile, so it's pretty easy to get questions answered about it, and most of the bugs have been worked out or around. There's even a version of FBReader that will let you turn pages by flicking your wrist.

The IQ, on the other hand, is brand new, only having been sold for a couple of months, so it's still having growing pains. It's Android, which means you can use it to get online anywhere there's wi fi available, and you can get apps to do all kinds of things besides read. It has sound, so you can play music or listen to audio books with the proper app. The built-in Pocketbook reader still doesn't work well, so a lot of people including me have downloaded and installed various reader apps to use. It doesn't come loaded with a lot of apps, but you can really get into it and play around with making changes and installing different apps. After playing around awhile, I decided I really wanted it to be a reader and not an Android device loaded with apps, so I took off everything except the several reader apps I have loaded, and now I mainly use it as a reader and occasionally go online with it, but not much else. It's color, so that is nice for reading books with color illustrations, but I think it's kind of heavy to carry around. It's lit, so you can read in the dark. It will even let you change the background (the "paper" of the page) from white to black and the text to white to make it easier to read in the dark. The screen doesn't bother me even after several hours, but I don't have trouble with any type of screen, so I'm not a good one to ask about that.

In brief, if I wanted something to carry around, that was easy to use without too much fiddling around, I would get a 360. It can read most formats including DRM'd epubs, and is an all-around nice reader. Some of its fans here refer to it as Mighty Mouse. If I wanted a larger, color screen, and either wanted to play around with it, or didn't mind playing, I'd get the IQ. But I really can't recommend the IQ for anyone uncomfortable with downloading and installing apps using Android, or who doesn't want to have a device that is still a work in progress. That said, Pocketbook support both here and via the company, is awesome. So whichever one you choose, I know you will have lots of help available.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote