View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #59
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
I'm surprised you didn't mention artwork, marketing and advertising. Those are things I that giant corporations are good at, and might be a struggle for authors to go alone. On the other hand, in the world of ebooks the role of artwork is probably going to shrink.
An oversight on my part, but yes, it would be included in a publisher's services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
The question that I have is whether any publisher is going to be able to take a big enough cut to stay in business when their monopoly on production of the final product is removed? I can see a new kind of business cropping up, an author services company that contracts to the author to handle editing, artwork and advertising - probably for a fee up front and maybe with a small percentage on the sales.
Publishers clearly have their jobs cut out for them to handle this sea-change in the way they do business. It's up to them whether they want to make the effort, or take down their shingles and go home.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote