View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
If you donate the books to the library are they tax deductible (in the US)?
I am not a lawyer so this is not a professional opinion, but ...... I have been doing just this for many years. In fact the Portland, Oregon library gives you a receipt for you to use for your taxes. You need to itemize to take advantage of the tax break.

I only donate hardbound books and I claim 80% of the cover price as the deduction. I remove the dust cover and take very good care of a hardbound as I read it so it is always in "like new" condition when I donate it.

I have never been questioned about this practice. Of course, I am not in a mega-tax-bracket, either. I believe Turbo Tax even has a category for book donations in their It's Deductible software.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote