View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #18
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i don't think DRM alone is the issue - it's the fact that most the makers of ebook readers wanted their own formats. DRM would be a lot less annoying if ALL readers could read the same formats.
You are describing what may be the Holy Grail of ebooks.

I have about 3,500 ebooks on my Palm OS PDA. The majority are HTML I converted for use by Plucker, an open source offline HTML reader for Palm OS. But I also have a fair number in Mobipocket, eReader, PDF, Word, RTF, and plain text formats. I must maintain five different viewer applications, and remember which books are in which format read with which viewer, which is just nuts.

At the moment, none of the ebooks on my device are paid for commercial titles. They are all public domain, Creative Commons, or other form of license that lets me download, install, and share them. I have no objection to paying for content, but I want to download it once and read it on whatever I happen to have at hand.

The current profusion of formats and DRM schemes makes that far more difficult than I feel like dealing with. If the ebook industry ever settles on a common format everone will support, with a single not overly intrusive DRM scheme, I'll reconsider. I don't see myself as needing to reconsider for quite some time.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote