View Single Post
Old 12-06-2022, 07:52 AM   #3
LostOnTheLine
Connoisseur
LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (PW1|PW3|PW4), Kindle Voyage
Is there any way to adjust other settings aside from the width?

Before I started using Sigil I was unzipping epubs, using BIMP to batch convert & shrink images in GIMP, turning wide images, then re-zipping them. I generally batch convert by the height rather than the width, this is especially necessary when there are wide images that have been rotated.
I also use JPG with quality levels typically set to 90, 1x1 Subsampling, Low-Halo interpolation for the scaling, float-point DCT, etc. I generally sacrifice conversion time for better quality/size because it can work in the background.

Using the plugin I was very disappointed with the size difference (I typically shrink a 30-40MB ePUB down to 4-10MB), The Plugin made the images smaller than my old method & the 37MB ePUB I was testing on only got down to 18MB despite the images being smaller. If I could adjust at least the quality setting that'd make a huge difference as I'm fairly certain it's keeping the quality level at around something like 98% which is a lot more than I personally need.
When calibre converts my ePUBs to KFX the size ends up near to what I was getting using this method, I'd just like to have the ePUB at that resolution & AZW3 as well

Since the "maxWidth": "1000" is set via the JSON it would be nice to have other options, like "maxHeight": "1200", "Quality": "90", "Interpolation": "LowHalo", "DCT": "FloatingPoint"

I appreciate that this exists, I just wish there were more options.

Last edited by LostOnTheLine; 12-07-2022 at 12:28 PM. Reason: trying to ensure no misunderstandings
LostOnTheLine is offline   Reply With Quote