View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
It could be that the Adobe apps use the fonts directly, not when they're installed in the system. If I remember correctly that's how they worked with the multiple master fonts, but it was so long ago I could be misremembering. Those were sort of hinkey in my opinion because you had to fiddle with some knobs and generate whatever variation you wanted and save it, rather than generate them on the fly. In the beginning the Adobe font manager had the knobs and then later Illustrator also acquired the knobs. I like the idea of multiple master fonts but unfortunately it never caught on, but I don't know if the newer font formats have something like it.

For the Adobe CC, since it's your business, can't you write off the expense or something?

I'll always remember my fondness for Illustrator. I'm just an amateur noodling around but I was so impressed with how powerful it was and that it cost a fraction of what Photoshop cost. Hopefully I'll get back into what I'd been doing, repeating patterns, with Affinity Designer, but it's so easy being a slacker these days.
Hi:

Oh, yes, I do write it off, that's not really the issue. It's that I paid a WHACK of dough for the "old" Adobe Master Collection of apps--you name it, I have it, basically--and then, voila!, anyone could license same for mere pennies, really. It torqued my bum, and I'm still damned mad about it.

NOT to mention, on a professional front, it's made our jobs SO much harder. I used to be able to say "INDD discount for pros, give us your indd package files and we'll discount the work X." right? Nooooo, now, I have to inspect every damned INDD package file I get, beause some of them are utter crap, done by people who decided that they were gonna be experts on Wednesday after having downloaded the software on bloody Monday. It's significantly increased my workload, and it's significantly increased the number of people being ripped-off by incompetent "print designers" everywhere.

So, yes, I might be cutting off my own nose to spite my face, but it's infuriating that they got THOUSANDS, mind you, of my money and then practically turned around in the same breath and now want me to license the bloody stuff as if I never bought it in the first bleeping place. I know many in the biz that are also not "upgrading" for the same reason. We kinda feel betrayed by it, and that Adobe is money-grubbing without making any realistic accommodation for those that paid out the nose--seeming to fawn over those that are paying a whopping $12 or $20 or $52/month. It's just...infuriating.

I don't think it has anything to do with live fonts versus active versus embedded. I work with fonts all the time, and that's second nature to me. it's something else, having to do with the ability to see and use "OpenType-SVG fonts". That's the thing, I'm reasonably certain.

/more grumbling

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote