View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #75
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's absolutely no way that "Speaker for the Dead" is Fantasy. It's pure SF! What elements of the story do you consider to be Fantasy?
We are not going to agree on this HarryT, because to me it definately is not "Pure Sci Fi". To Quote OSC himself "Sci-Fi has Rivets, Fantasy has trees", now Considering one of the main plot lines of Speaker for the Dead is about an indigenous species and their religious worship of trees, I feel that the enders game series stopped being Sci-Fi from Speaker for the Dead onwards.

In a later book, a major plot line is a girl who religiously follows the lines of grain in a wooden floor.

The only Sci Fi element I really find in these books, is that they are set on another planet. That for me is not enough!.

Even the origional Endersgame short story (Not the novel), could be considered nothing but a war movie. After all it was set on planet earth, in a building, not a space station like the Novel.

Its not what I would call True Sci Fi.

Having said that "Enders Game" is my favourite book, and I have enjoyed the complete Enders Shadow series as well.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote