View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Both headphones in and declining attempts at eye contact are as close as we can get in our current society, short of hanging a LEAVE ME ALONE sign around our necks. What more can we possibly do to get the message across?
Perhaps I wasn't being clear. I don't think you SHOULD be trying to get the message across. Because I don't think people are entitled to move through public venues in entirely cloistered cones of "don't look at me or interact me in any way" privacy.

Quote:
But people brought up here who persist in attempting to make pointless social contact* in that situation deserve my ill opinion of them.
Perhaps that's the difference between us. I don't really see any kind of (friendly-intended) social contact as "pointless." If I can help someone have nicer day by listening to them talk, I don't see the harm in taking a few minutes to listen. Even if I'm "busy."

Quote:
If you didn't know that it is a bad idea to do this to people you don't know? No matter how interesting you think they look or how scintilliating you believe your company to be? Well, now you do.
No. I still don't know that. I only know that it would be a bad idea to attempt civil but random discourse with you. I've met enough people to know that there are plenty who don't mind "pointless social interaction." As to how "scintillating" my own company might be: I have no opinion on that. It's not something that crosses my mind.

Quote:
Well, the shopping isn't going to do itself. Nor are the myriad of other things that have to get done in a week.
Since I'm assuming you don't read with headphones on while shopping, I fail to see the relevance. Seeing someone is busy is far easier to determine than seeing that someone is ready to bite your head off for even daring to engage.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-29-2018 at 11:48 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote