View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Boy, does this bring back memories!

The Mother West Wind books, and a bunch of other Thornton W. Burgess animal books, were among the first "non-picture" books that I ever read. In second grade I remember we had a "read-aloud" contest to see who could finish a page of his the quickest. I remember the page began: "Danny Meadow Mouse sat on the..." Forty-eight years later, I have a hard time remembering the characters in the novel I read two weeks ago, but I have absolutely no problem in remembering the Burgess menagerie: Johnny Chuck, Sammy Jay, Blacky the Crow, Grandfather Frog, Old Mister Toad, and a host of others.

It's amazing that the little boy who loved to read these stories grew up to enjoy reading, say, the adventures of Takeshi Kovacs in "Altered Carbon."
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote