View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Bar codes on books

I'm not sure if I should admit it here but I read both ebooks and real books and to keep track of what I have I use Calibre adding real books by using the ISBN to create a record.

It's useful as I can see more easily which authors I like and more importantly which books I already have or have rejected.

These days bar code scanners have come down in price enormously and my latest toy is a bar code scanner that plugs into the USB port and returns the ISBN code followed by a carriage return. Saves me pulling out the reading glasses or magnifying glass to read the ISBN number. On many books this works fine but some books have a UPC code rather than an ISBN code.

Is there a way to detect if its an ISBN code or UPC then get the author title stuff in from the UPC code?

Thanks John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote