View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #28
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I do like this idea very much, Katsunami.
Thanks You're welcome to participate. To be honest, I find the amount different people posting in this thread a bit underwhelming

Quote:
I have a couple of stories around this size that I wrote last year that I've been wondering what to do with (it will be a long while before I have enough to consider an anthology of my own), so I'm definitely interested. I'm pretty pressed for time right now, so not sure if I will be able to participate in discussion as much as I would like - but I am willing to try.
I'm thinking about doing it like this:

- For people who are writing a new story: write it "live", posting new versions to a Dropbox folder as they come along.
- For people starting with an existing story: post that, and then start editing rewriting.

If people want, they can download and read these stories in progress, and give suggestions by PM or e-mail, but everyone is free to either do this, or not.

At some point, we'll determine a finalization date. From that date onward, the stories will be frozen, and we'll start reviewing them one by one. After a story gets reviewed, the author can make the necessary edits to incorporate (some of) the suggestions. Then we move to the next story.

There could be one to three of these review/editing rounds; whatever we decide to do.

Quote:
I'm also writing something, that was supposed to be short, now ... but it's already on the high side of the limit of 8000, so it may not be appropriate. That's one of my troubles, I don't generally write fiction to a deadline, nor to a length, so writing specifically for this project would be difficult for me.
Maybe it would be a good exercise Meeting a deadline often comes down to setting priorities, and discipline. Meeting word length will be determined by what to include or leave out, obviously.

This project could help you to learn to do these things better

(As a software engineer, I'm sometimes in the same boat. "Just make this function a bit better", "just add a little bit here"... and then the deadline is there and not everything is finished.)

Quote:
However contributing a previous story of an appropriate length for critique and review as part of the discussion is something I can do.
I'd be glad to have you submit one
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote