Thread: Troubleshooting Indexing is truly vexing ...
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #35
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
And, you need a separate program to monitor which books you've read and which books are to be read. It's a shame I can't do that with the archive.

I move my TBR books to a new Kindle in about 3 hours and I've never had a problem. Perhaps novels, which would be 95% of my books, are less indexing intensive.
What I do for Kindle ebooks is just removing them from the device. For all my other ebooks, (now I understand better your question) the answer is yes, I do have something external (actually 2 things).

I use a spreadsheet where I also note down what I bought and how much it costed me, and I note also whether I read it or not. I need that because I noticed one day that I had bought twice a book and I did not notice. Memory is not what is used to be, and anyway with so many books .....

For the practical purpose of dealing with the reader, though, I have created a boolean attribute in Calibre, which tells me whether I have read the ebook or not. This way I can keep my readers synchronised.

And for the future I shall pay more attention, and download / sideload just a few books at a time. And check the indexing is over, before continuing.
I believe the re-indexing was needed by the firmware upgrade this time and it was a massive thing. Cross my finger, I hope I do not need to do it again.

EDIT : How did I end up with so many books. Sigh, how can you resist this offer
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=189173&page=2

Last edited by brudigia; 02-16-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Offers in Amazon Shop
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote