View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 12:27 AM   #458
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I use PayPal where possible. And bank transfer in local stores. But where it's not possible to use other methods, I do leave my card number. Moreover, I use several subscription services. Netflix, Dropbox, Prime Video, Adobe Photoshop, Google Drive 100 GB (for Gmail) and more. Not all of them have PayPal as a payment option, so I have to keep my card info there.
Back before we had the EMV thing with the chip in the card my credit card used to get compromised about once a year because I use it for everything since I get points back I can use with amazon. One time it was for stuff at Lowe's on the other side of the continent; $600 or so, another time for over $3,000 of computer stuff from IBM (before IBM sold their laptop business to Lenovo), other times for little stuff.

What I like about credit cards is that the risk is all on the card companies; maybe it's because California has strong consumer protection laws but whenever I get a bogus charge, if they don't catch it I call them and tell them and they cancel that card and send me a new one, and remove the bogus charge. If you tell them that you're going on a trip and need the replacement card right away they'll even send it express.

I don't know if the laws are better now but I had a coworker who had his checking account drained when his debit card was compromised and he had to battle with the bank to get them to refund his money. So as long as you pay off your credit card in full each month it's as good as a debit card and possibly safer for you.

Last edited by hobnail; 09-29-2021 at 12:30 AM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote