View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #135
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
[...]It seems to me that we've got four options:

1) Let the process meander on with the current editing constraints until we do have enough material.

2) Open up the submissions to any MobileRead author removing the 'all stories must submit to criticism and editing' constraint.

3) Complete and publish what we've got.

4) Accept that we've not got enough for a book and stop here, but without too many regrets, because this last couple of months has been incredibly worthwhile anyway.[...]
That seems to sum it up pretty well.

Option 1 has the potential difficulty, as you said, of holding things up for a long time when an author may find alternative avenues for publishing - it does extended the original "six months" exclusivity thing a fair bit. I don't do much short, and I'm not getting much of any sort of writing done right now anyway, so option 1 remains open from my own personal perspective - AND I would like to see others join the project under the same constraints as we started, I think it would be better for the collection to have more diversity than it has now. (Highlighting that to be sure no one misses it.)

Option 2 is not something I'm keen on. The project started with a good set of objectives, I think - things that make the project much more useful as a thread here on MR. I'd much prefer to keep at least the the communal criticism and editing aspect of it. I am open to varying the length aspects.

I am open to both options 3 and 4 if that's what the other participants want. I've enjoyed what we've managed so far, so there's certainly nothing lost from my own perspective. The timing of the project hasn't been great, lots else going on here, but if it does carry on longer then I'd be happy to continue participating as much as I can.

Whether I have a second story to contribute or not remains to be seen (if other work pressures reduce for a while) but, as highlighted above, the ideal for this project (in my opinion) would be more diversity - more authors.

Dr Drib, I have no concerns with your participation, if you wanted to join in. The moderators here seem very good at separating their moderator role from their other participation. And, if there ever was any doubt, a second moderator's opinion could be asked for. ... Whatever you feel comfortable with.

Last edited by gmw; 05-04-2014 at 07:32 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote