View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #92
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
Isn't it the purpose of GPL to enable the user to exercise his freedoms, specifically, the freedom to make modified versions of a program? If the user is not given a way to install his own (modified) versions of the program, or if he is no longer allowed to (!), he has no way of exercising his freedom to run modified versions of the program.

Deeming jailbreaking/rooting illegal (unless it is done with permission from the vendor) kinda makes the whole thing incompatible with GPL if you ask me.
Yeah. That's kind of what I was thinking. I don't know how you could have such a rule with GPL'd software. qlob pointed out that the Kindle Fire software isn't all open sourced, but I thought the only closed source thing was the launcher.

I guess another big question would be, would Amazon go hard on this rule? They didn't seem to care about rooting before the Librarian made the first ruling about jailbreaking, so I'm wondering if it would matter now.

Last edited by bhartman36; 10-28-2012 at 02:51 PM.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote