Thread: Wanted features
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #76
exapted
exapted began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
I am considering 9"-10" e-ink ebook readers, and the PocketBook 901 seems ideal. Light, big clear plastic non-glare screen, seemingly good interface. The following are some features I would like to see, although I don't promise to actually wait until September (I really want a device now). These are the features I think a lightning fast ereader should have:
(1) A way to create table of contents from within a document, which can then be used to jump around the document. Good default chapter names (numbers would be good).
(2) This is related to 1. A way to scroll down lines in the book and create links to other pages. This way, a user could turn a non-linking TOC into a set of links.
(3) Regarding 1 and 2 above: It should be possible to navigate using the created TOC without having to view any specific page with links. In other words there should be some kind of native TOC interface, and that interface should be optionally activated when creating a TOC from the document's non-linking TOC. And if there are pre-existing internal links in a document, it should be possible to view these links in either the native TOC interface or similar. Perhaps the native TOC interface should be the default link navigation menu, and possibly there could be another link navigation menu or extra links could appear below the TOC.
(4) Regarding 1 and 2 above: What would be ideal, in the case that the user is creating links / TOC, would be to allow the user to either enter a page number or to start from some arbitrary page number and scroll through pages until the right one is found, select it, then get back to the page from which the link is being created, or to the TOC creation interface where the TOC item is being created.
(5) A mode to page through a document very fast, maybe viewing multiple pages at a time, then jump into a page as needed. It should be possible to jump between these two modes easily. It should be possible to hold a button and continuously page through a document either backwards or forwards as desired.
(6) A way to set pan and zoom settings for specific pages, and specific sets of page numbers. So I should be able to go to a page, pan and zoom to the ideal setting, then either set that page to that zoom and pan setting indefinitely, and optionally set all odd numbered pages in a certain range to that setting (actually a set of ranges would be very important). Then I should be able to go to the next page and do a similar thing for even numbered pages, except with a different pan setting. And, I should be able to input a list of the specific page numbers that such a setting should be applied to. So for example, maybe I have a book where the first page of each chapter is centered, and then the remaining pages of each chapter are set either towards the left or the right, in alternating fashion. Maybe some lines or other stuff appear along the margins, preventing any auto-cropping feature to zoom into each page in an ideal fashion. With the features I mentioned, one could go to the first page of the first chapter, zoom and pan to the ideal setting, then list the page number for the first page of every single chapter (see number 4 above for how this could work better), then go to the second page of that chapter and zoom and pan, and list the sets of pages that this setting should be applied to (alternating, starting with that setting, and continuing for some range, and multiple ranges should be allowed, and some interface similar to number 4 above could make this easier), etc. So in 3 big steps I could set up my viewing of the document in my example such that it is ideal.
(7) Smart crop. This one might be kind of difficult, and require some kind of image processing and/or machine learning techniques to get it right. But it could obviate the need for the user to use the features as described in 6. It would crop each page according to just the main text, and leave out any lines, page numbers, semi-extraneous text in the margins, etc.
(8) Regarding 6 and 7, it should be possible to temporarily reverse the zoom and pan level without setting it indefinitely, and the indefinitely set zoom and pan settings should by default apply even when in landscape mode (viewing only part of a page). So it should be possible to zoom in further, without losing the zoom and pan settings you set before. And when you switch to landscape mode, the zoom and pan settings you have for that page should define the boundaries of the page from which the sections of the page are rendered.

These are just ideas, and even if none of them are included the PocketBook 901 would be my top choice for PDF textbook and research paper reading.

Last edited by exapted; 05-15-2010 at 06:19 AM.
exapted is offline   Reply With Quote