View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #28
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Not to mention that pretty much all of the current grammar rules are the result of old rules being broken often and consistently enough that they either changed or vanished.

Language changes as it's being used, that's just the way things are. Using it's instead of "it is" in any form writing used to be unacceptable, today it's practically the norm. At least where I live, and in informal contexts like a forum post.

Yes, this not not Latin. English is a living breathing language that changes with time. American English is determined by how Americans in general write and speak and the rules are written/changed to reflect what is being used.

I would say "of" is probably still considered proper, but falling slowly out of use just like the difference between shall and will has.

As for y'all vs ya'll I have seen both in such great numbers I would have a hard time guessing which is right. y'all is proper contraction form IF its "you all" but some claim its "ya all" which would make ya'll correct. Also it is pronounced yawl so ya'll seems to fit that better.

So I dunno! But I would lean towards y'all being "proper."
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote