View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #35
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I found the book quite hard to get into, as I found the characterisations too overt (detailed descriptions of how the characters look; unsubtle descriptions of facial expressions and so on). I also struggled because the Bogart version is so engrained I just couldn't see Spade as tall and blonde. I did think Peter Lorre was perfect casting, and this helped me get int othe book once he appeared on the scene.

I also found Spade eminently unlikeable, and wouldn't have cared much if he'd been killed or convicted at the end.

Overall, I did quite enjoy it, but it hasn't earned re-read status. 3 out of 5.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote