View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The discussion thread has arrived.

I would've liked to read any of the nominations (seems a running theme) but I was particularly drawn to The Tango Singer and Frankenstein in Baghdad this time round.

For The Tango Singer I, like the book protagonist, was an English-speaking foreigner living and working in Buenos Aires for a short time at the same time as the book takes place including before the inflation crisis and during the pots and pans protests/riots. I also visited tango cafes, listened to tango singers and learned to dance the authentic tango. And though I only talked about it with a few people there, I heard accounts of the dirty war and the disappearances. So the book description had a strange amount of similarities to my own experience (and I feel like I'm talking a bit too much about my real life here recently, but there it is, heh).

For Frankenstein in Baghdad, I read the original Frankenstein back in my schooldays. We even had to do a creative writing assignment about it, reimagining the book in another medium. However, I don't remember hardly anything about the novel itself apart from the major plot points. I also am not sure if Frankenstein in Baghdad is supposed to be a sort of peripheral reimagining of the original or not. Regardless, I thought it would be interesting to read this and see what sort of comparisons we may make to the original Shelley work.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote