View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #68
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
That's of course, the classic moral question. Murder, is a legal term. If you mean is it ever right to kill another person, most would agree that killing someone who is attacking you is considered self defense rather than murder. In the US, it's generally considered moral to do so. Other moral systems say that it's never moral to kill. Personally, I consider killing to protect yourself or others morally acceptable. I've never had to do so and hope the situation never comes up personally.
I'm not sure killing someone in self defense is right or moral. It might very well be necessary. But I think it would affect my conscience in pretty negative ways.

As soon as we say killing someone is right we're getting dangerous.

If I had to steal food to feed my starving family I wouldn't hesitate. I don't think I'd ever claim it was right. Necessity, morals and legality are different things.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote