View Single Post
Old 09-17-2003, 09:18 AM   #32
St0rmD
St0rmD began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T2
Quote:
Originally posted by Maceo
I think that legibility also has a lot to do with usage context: I ususally read the most on trains and buses, and I think that a larger size an heavier stroke widths (e.g. medium absolute with the standard palm font, 2 pixel stroke widths) is essential there. Character outllines are blurred, as you cannot hold the device completely steady.

I also use auto-scrolling a lot, and I have the feeling that sans-serifs work better with aouto-scrolling - not that I have a scientific explanation for that, though...
hmm, you're probably right about usage context. I do most of my reading either on my couch or in bed before I go to sleep, and I tend to page with the nav-buttons rather than use auto-scroll.

As far as your scientific explanation goes, it's a simple matter of how much there is to render on the screen, I think. I've noticed auto-scroll takes a performance hit when using any non-system font, or at small font sizes (more text on screen to render), making it rather jumpy, which is one of the reasons I don't much use it.