View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I suspect that some people think that holding a copyright is a potential gold mine. They are thinking they are going to get Tolkien or Rowling type money rather than make it available for free.
Maybe if the book is in print and they are getting some sort of statement from the publisher, but something that is out of print?
Yep. For the one I'm thinking of, her father's writings did get used for tv and maybe some movie scripts as well.

And my idea of Amazon doing what I outlined is pie in the sky; why would they spend the time and money on free books? Even if they did I doubt that they'd bother to share the raw text with anyone else. Maybe if someone donated millions to Project Gutenberg they could mount a campaign to get the word out about the potential advantages of CC-SA, but I'm not holding my breath.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote