View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
kiri87
kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3
Unhappy The 3.4 Update and related troubles

Hello everyone.
I wanted to share with you the experience of a successful Kindle 3 restoration.
I have a Kindle 3 WiFi Special Offers. I had almost every important hack installed on it since the 3.2.1 update (Temp jailbreak for 3.2.1, USB Networking hack, fonts hack, ss hack, launchpad, kite). Every OTA update went smooth. The troubles began when the 3.4 updated installed automatically. It was successfully installed, but when the the framework finished loading, I could only see the list of books. The top & bottom bars were invisible, the menu would not appear on screen and opening any book would only freeze the framework. An interesting fact was that I could start CoolReader 3 via launchpad and it would work correctly.

So, following qlob's "Noob's guide to debricking through ATK", I flashed the 3.4 files (kernel-3.4.img & mmcblk0p1-3.4+jb+keys.img). After waiting more than 3 hours, the process completed successfully. But when it booted, it still had the exact same issues. So, using the guide again, I flashed the 3.0.2 files (kernel-3.0.2-factory.img mmcblk0p1-3.0.2-factory.img). After some other 3 hours, the Kindle booted successfully. And everything was working perfectly. I started installing the official updates (Update_kindle_3.1_B008.bin, Update_kindle_3.3_B008.bin, Update_kindle_3.4_B008.bin). Some updates took more time than other. But, after installing the last update, I was back to the issues I had initially! I was convinced that the issues might be caused by one of the hacks, but now it makes no sense.

Right now I'm in the process of re-flashing 3.0.2, and I plan to update up to 3.3. What exactly seems to be the problem with the 3.4 update? And is there any way of disabling the OTA updates on the K3, besides not enabling WiFi?
kiri87 is offline   Reply With Quote