View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #49
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Getting Jelly Bean would be interesting, but it doesn't make the Fire a very good Android Tablet. To me the biggest issue with the Fire, and the reason I returned mine even after installing ICS, is the lack of sensors. Without a GPS none of the location based apps and services work correctly, and that is a huge part of Android. The fact that the Nexus 7 has a GPS gives it a significant advantage over the Fire, in my eyes. Add to that a Microphone and a front facing camera which makes Skype and other tools viable and it is a much more useful Tablet. Of course it will still run the Kindle App, so you get most of the Fire's functionality, minus the assess to Amazon's Video, which I have used maybe twice in my years of Prime membership.

For me the Nexus 7 is a better solution, if I needed another tablet, which I don't. For people who use Amazon Video and don't need location services then the Fire may be a better solution.
Doesn't Google wifi-based geolocation work on the Fire with the alternate ROMs? If so, that would be adequate enough for a wifi-only device. If it doesn't work...why the heck doesn't it?

Still, the the Nexus 7 looks nice, and especially on if Amazon comes out with it's rumored comparable 'Fire 2' next month, we are clearing reaching the sweet spot of fully-equipped 7" tablet pricing, and I suspect we'll have more choices or even lower prices before the holidays.
I would consider something like the Nexus 7 (or Amazon's answer to it) for my mom, if we don't get her a smartphone.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote