View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #40
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
OK, here's the current status -- I'm trying to simplify! and end up with most readable choices including both very large (useful for reading one-handed standing on a swaying subway train) and fairly small (in a tent snow camping when even PageDown is a slow operation due to cold, but it's several hours more of darkness than I can sleep!)

I have on my Clie SJ30 a lot of readers, mostly adding one each time I find a document I can't read without it; some added to try more readable screens or more useful find/replace choices (or sometimes because I needed a small simple reader).
Shareware always registered and latest versions.

I'm just starting to figure out how to set up subdirectories on the Memory Stick so I can keep this stuff separated -- have to learn or set names that each application will accept, for those that will refer to the MS at all.

MobiPocket
Deep Reader
MissingSync Memo Pad
Palm Reader
WordSmith
SmartDoc
QuickWord
PenDoc
Plucker
BDicty
NoahPro

And these various font tools:

FontBucket
Quik Font Manager (for Blue Nomad/WordSmith)
FontCollector
Fonts4OS4
ThinFont (fixes Sony thinnest font which is unreadably thin)

Right now, looking at FontCollector, after I've moved all my optional fonts to the MemoryStick to get them out of the way, is showing me only
LatinLocaleModule Loc 1,2,3,4
LatonLocModuleD Sony 1,2,3,4

That's having checked
Hide Application Fonts
Do Not Look in Application Overlays
Hide generated fonts
Hide Fonts4OS5 Fonts
but not checked
Prefer Low Resolution Component

When I use the other options to see what's there:

Application fonts now are:
DeepReader
Palm Reader 1 and 2

No fonts available from Application Overlays
No Fonts4OS5 fonts.

When I use Filez for filetype "font" or "FONT" I have nothing showing.

So I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to simplify all this! Some of these I will move to another PDA (180x180 monochrome) that I use for keeping lists and memos when I don't want to change out of a reader on the Clie, and keep only what's most useful on the Clie (high res).