View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
I find this interesting

I try to remember where first saw "space marine"

author Poul Anderson maybe

come to me later
Poul Anderson's singular character was Ensign Flandry, Captain Flandry, and later even Sir Flandry of the Terran Space Navy and he wrote many books about Flandry's exploits to save the "rotting, corrupt -except for him) Terran (earth) empire. He was great.

On some of his endeavors, he was aided by stalwart, giant hulking "Space Marines" of other species, in armored space suits that used great crowbars to wreck the opposing nasty forces own armored space suits..

My brother in law who retired from the Navy as a Captain and I, a ground pounder, as young men, both loved those interstellar swashbuckling tales.

Of course the new "Space Marines" are far more advanced and far more silly than Poul Anderson's were. It appears that the company that owns them is also silly. Kind of like Apple and MS, trying to trademark, patent, copyright old expressions.

Last edited by frahse; 02-07-2013 at 11:22 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote