View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Good review. I'm VERY interested in buy an Eco Reader. I've been looking for a reader for a while now and when the Eco Reader was released I got shivers.

A couple of questions I hope you or someone can answer.
- The screen, how strong does it feel? roughly the same durability of a LCD screen?
- Cleaning the screen, use window cleaner or treat it like a LCD screen and use damp cloth or LCD cleaner?
- Updates. The Eco Reader being a rebranded Hanlin, does it use the same firmware updates as the Hanlin or BeBook?
- Adding books. Does this require you to install software on your PC, or do you just plug it in and it show up as a removable drive on your computer? I'm asking as I am an Linux user.

Now out of sheer curiosity, where do people prefer to buy their ebooks from? I have found a few good sites (mobipocket.com for example) but when looking at the prices of dymocks.com.au the cost is usually the same as a paperback, even sometimes greater (hardly worth it IMHO)

Thanks in advance. I'm very close to getting one.

Cheers,

Edit: Forgot to add, how well does the Eco Reader go with .PDFs? Is a A4 size pdf readable on the Eco Reader?
Firstly, before I go through your questions, I can't speak too highly of the support provided by CBell (no relation) who is an active member of this forum and can answer all your technical questions.

The screen and the whole reader feels more sturdy than my Cybook.

I clean the screen with a Kleenex.

I don't know about updates. I do know Christine is in contact with Jinke, and has provided feedback to them.

I keep all my ebooks on an SD card, and add or delete them through a SC card reader. The printed manual mentions that the reader can be plugged in to one's computer, but as I don't have linux I don't know whether that will apply to you. If your computer can read a flash drive I don't think you'll have any problem with an SD card reader.

My preferred supplier is Fictionwise - they think I live in the US so I haven't had have any problems buying books from them. HarperCollins is also good. But most of my books are from this forum. DA Direct is about to open its own ebook store in September, but of course I don't know what their prices will be. I do know that on their web page at www.ecoreader.com.au has lots of links to free ebook sources, many of which I wasn't aware of.

I rarely if ever read pdf ebooks, so I can't answer your question about A4 sizes. I do know that the manual is a pdf document, is on the reader, and that one can zoom in and out. But when one does zoom the text does not seem to flow. My guess is that the font on an A4 page would be very small.

Hope this helps, Alex

PS There is a very detailed review of the BeBook on the Ebook Devices>Hanlin. I'm sure you will find it helpful.

Last edited by AlexBell; 10-31-2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Additional information
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote