View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
farstar
farstar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Entourage edge for scientific textbooks?

Hello, I am looking for reading scientific textbooks in pdf (I have many of them). After reading this forum, I have reached the conclusion that 6'' is not enough, and 10'' is best.

I am based in Europe, and there are very few possibilities yet (Irex DR 1000 S the only one, but expensive and with several pitfalls).

I have read about the entourage edge, and I believe it apparently is a good solution for me: 10'', not very expensive, and with two screens, the second one having android.

I have been thinking about being able to execute the code I could be reading from my textbooks (R, S-PLUS, Mathematica, Fortran, C++, ...), and I believe there could be a way out (I have read linux' android cannot natively run standard linux programs like R or Fortran):

use something like phonemypc (http://www.softwareforme.com/phonemy...eractlive.html) to control my home pc through the wifi at home (I believe the entourage edge has wifi, but not 3G yet): with the eink, read the textbook; with android, control my pc through phonemypc to run the code in R, Fortran, ...

There would only be missing a proper keyboard, but I guess that if I needed to type a lot, I could go to the proper PC, but for normal typing, I could use the virtual keyboard. And then I would have everything in a single platform.

Is this possible? My fear is that even though it is possible, a new machine like the entourage edge plus a layer of complexity on android (phonemypc) could fail in practice.

What do you think?
farstar is offline   Reply With Quote