View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleholic View Post
What about instead of "moving" the files from one folder to another "in-the-field" explore the possibility of having password protection for Collections, or for selected book?

I use it and my friends would like to borrow it to read specific books, lets say I open the book for them, so they would have to go back to Menu and browse for other Collections or Books, and if they want to open them, VOILA! password protection.

There are many reasons to implement a system of password protecting some books or documents, no need to use encryption for the file, just protect it from access on-the-go.

Let me know how possible is this. I am learning Linux, but I am far away to being able to write such application by myself. Still if there is anything that I can contribute, I am more than happy to do so.
This is a fantastic idea! This is more java than linux though, since on the linux end the most I can do is move files. The user end of the kindle is mostly java and html (see here), so this hack would involve creating some code that could intercept the action of opening a collection and prompt for a password. I know on the iOS platform "mobile substrate" is a prime example, however I'm not sure if anyone has created a similar tweak for the kindle.

I have a limited understanding of java, but I think this is very doable. The skeleton code would be like this:

Code:
Function.onClick() { //when someone clicks on a collection, do this
    passwordPrompt(); //prompt for a password
    openCollection(); //or do whatever it is the kinlde does on click

}//end Function.onClick

Function.passwordPrompt(){
// check if this is a protected collection
// if no then quit
// if yes continue
// prompt for password (using an html popup?)
// check if password is valid
 if (Valid)
   open collection // just use break
 else
   quit //with non-zero exit code
}//end passwordPrompt
*Note - this is dummy code, none of it actually works

Quote:
Thanks for the app, I am using it, still haven't figure it out if it has to do with Registering the Kindle first, because despite me hiding the Documents, still they display, or maybe is because of Calibre creating a Metafile of the library????
Not sure what you mean, but if you're referring to the dictionaries and the user guide, those are redownloaded every time.
Glad you like it, let's keep each other updated in case you or I make progress on this project.
vaniaspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote