View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 12:29 AM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ander111 View Post
First, are you sure Calibre doesn't already have an updater? In Preferences > Behavior, the very first item is "Notify when a new version is available", and it's selected by default... What's up with that? Did some updater-favouring developer sneak it in to be cheeky?
Calibre has let you know that a new version of calibre is available as far back as I recall (2011?). Plugins are handled the same way. The new versions are not automatically installed. For me, this is the best only way to handle updates. You can also check the calibre What's new from the download page. For plugins, I check the plugin thread if I haven't already been following it.

Quote:
For what it's worth, bundled update-checkers are a common, nearly expected feature these days. And I agree that, no matter what, update-checking should be optional, NOT activated by default.
Update checking should be mandatory. Installing updates should require me to make that decision.

Quote:
TL:DR
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote