View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 05:53 AM   #26
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeBuddha View Post
As a matter of fact, downloading books might be illegal in the US, but it's not the case in Europe.
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

My understanding is that downloading the content is not illegal. It's the uploading, or "making available" part that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeBuddha View Post
On a separate note, I find the whole DRM-ing idea a huge waste of time. Like regions on DVDs or protected mp4's (or the even more stupid "protection" on iPods), it's just another futile attempt which only ends up affecting people who would buy it anyway, while those who wouldn't in the first place will find ways to still get their hands on those books without paying.
Exactly. And the first one to break the DRM only has to upload that broken version for everyone to get the DRM-less version.

That's why DRM cannot fulfill it's stated purpose of "protecting" the content. The reason that DRM is used is to lock customers into a company by locking their content to a particular device.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote