View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I just want them to put the hardware together, slap a stock OS with functional hardware support on it, and ship it to me, and then let me download the whole "improved experience" when it's available.

Let me install a quick PDF viewer on it, and let me toggle the Pixel Qi's backlight. Then I'll be happy to wait the 6 months or 2 years or however long it takes Notion Ink to develop their "enhancements" that will probably be pretty poor in the end anyway. I want the hardware, not a proprietary software experience.
I can't imagine there's enough market for tech heads like you for it to be worth their while to ship it now.

It has to work well out of the box to have any chance of appealing to mainstream users. Especially when every tablet is going to be compared to the iPad and it's user interface, app selection etc.

If they launch a barebones tablet that doesn't do much of anything, it will kill their brand name as it will get terrible reviews and no one will care if they fix it in a year or whatever. You and some others would get a new piece of hardware to tinker with, but the company would probably go under and we'd never see a 2nd gen model.

Getting a first release right is key to their success.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote