View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_omran View Post
For PDF files I mean
You can't change the fonts that a PDF document uses, unfortunately. The reason for this is that each character is exactly positioned according to the specified font when the document is created. Changing the font, and thus the dimensions of the characters, will produce wrong distances between the characters when they are placed in the positions determined from the previous font. Some characters will be spaced too far apart, others will overlap. It would just look bad (I know, because this is exactly what happened in the early days of the open source xpdf viewing program before Adobe released their standard fonts).

If you create your own PDF files using LaTeX, then you can specify a font that is easier to read on E-Ink devices. For example, @paola suggested using the Palatino family of fonts to me once, and it made a big difference in the readability. I just added the line "\usepackage{mathpazo}" to the LaTeX source file to build with those fonts.

Last edited by rkomar; 07-30-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling mistake.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote