View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Does Amazon go overboard with padding the number of titles it has

when counting single titles for it's e-books that it has multiple times.

First off I do like to point out they ALL do it. It's the oldest trick in the book to "pad" your specs, if you will. Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Apple etc.

So when people start spewing "Well Amazon or whoever has such and such many titles" you really do have to take it with a grain of salt.

iTunes and Amazon Mp3 and WalMart Mp3 have been doing this for a while. Punch in Steppin Wolf's Born to be Wild and you'll get see it listed about 10 or more times.

so it's only natural that the ebook sellers will do the same, You know the Larger the Number the more impressive. The biggest and most common abuse of this in the public domain books.

But does Amazon go waaaaaaaaaaaay too far?

for example I punched in Pride and Prejudice on both BN and Amazon, on BN it came up with about 4 titles. all the same book Punched it in on Amazon and it came up around 12 titles of the same book each one realy no different than the rest.

I then punched in bram strokers Dracula. BN I do believe was about 10 or so , Amazon I had to stop counting at 22. it just kept going on and on. I wasn't counting collections of stories, or collection of Bram strokes books, just Dracula. There was seriously no end in sight on Amazon. so IOW's though Dracula is one title it is counted as about 50 titles and included in the overall number of titles as 50 instead of 1.

But it will count each one as a separate title.

Again Yes EVERYONE does this to pad their numbers, but doesn't Amazon take it a tad bit tooo far?

Last edited by boswd; 06-25-2010 at 02:38 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote