Old 04-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #25
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
Yes, you can download to your Kindle3 from your Calibre server via wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
A question for which I have not found a clear answer - can the Kindle 3 download books directly from the Calibre Content Server (i.e. over WiFi/3G). I know it can do it via USB or email but I am interested in being able to pick up a book on-demand from Calibre when on the move and away from my PC?
Yes, I am able to download books from my Calibre server to my Kindle 3 via my local network wifi connection. My spouse is a high-security wonk though, so my server is not available beyond the range of our private wifi.

Point your Kindle 3 browser at your Calibre server's IP address. The server will deliver a list of available books as clickable links. Click on the book you want to download.

BTW: IIRC, this quote from the documentation -- "Some devices, like the Kindle (1/2/DX), do not allow you to access port 8080 (the default port on which the content server runs. In that case, change the port in the calibre Preferences to 80." does not apply to my Kindle 3. Port 8080 works fine.

I can take a look at my settings when I get home tonight and confirm if anyone is interested.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote